The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a digital electronics design engineer and provide electronics design and development efforts for second generation lidar to support defense and space contracts as well as the fast-moving autonomous vehicle sector.
Projects will include lab demonstrations, field measurement campaigns, and prototypes to be supplied to potential customers for testing in their systems. Work requires high-speed digital electronics board and system-level design including the development of systems that incorporate microprocessors, microcontrollers, memory systems, complex interfaces, and field-programmable gate arrays.
Designs must perform under stringent automobile, aviation, and space environmental conditions. Highly-integrated sensors and supporting electronics will be necessary to achieve high performance requirements for our alpha and beta demonstration units. This newly developed lidar and improved signal processing systems will result in a far reaching impact in the field of autonomous vehicles.
The work involves analyzing, designing, simulating, fabricating, testing, and conducting performance validation and verification of electronic data processing, controls, and instrumentation systems. These will be used for detecting, recording, measuring, or controlling physical conditions, phenomena, and environments encountered in automotive, aeronautical and aerospace development programs.
Major Responsibilities as an Engineer
- Design and test advanced digital circuits that include microprocessors, memory systems, complex interfaces, microcontrollers, programmable logic devices, and programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
- Design and test advanced digital logic implemented in Very High Speed Integrated Circuit (VHSIC) Hardware Description Language (VHDL)
- Target implementations include input/output systems, controllers, memory interfaces, complex interfaces, microcontrollers, programmable logic devices, and FPGAs.
- Develop, demonstrate, and verify designs in FPGAs.
- Simulate digital circuits (behavioral and timing) to ensure that performance, timing, and power requirements are all satisfied.
- Generate and review development and design approaches for adequacy, feasibility, cost, and conformance to overall goals and best engineering practices.
- Support software and system integration activities.
- Present results at project reviews and technical conferences.
- Ensure assigned aerospace and/or ground support equipment meet project objectives and environmental conditions and are compatible with ground data acquisition and processing capabilities.
- Write and review technical goals and approaches, monitoring progress during development, design, and testing. Provide advanced technical assistance in development, design, and integration of technologies and systems.
Additional Responsibilities as a Technical Specialist
- Review and analyzes existing systems design in order to initiate redesign or modifications to improve operational effectiveness of hardware and software.
- Designs or directs the development of unique or leading-edge technology, hardware, equipment, or systems to meet specific mission requirements.
- Work closely in engineering team efforts related to the study, development, and test of hardware, data system components, or equipment.
- Supports the design, development and testing, including upgrades, parts reliability requirements, failure analysis/corrective action investigations, special laboratory tests, performance evaluations, and design audits of in-house and contracted projects and provides status to senior program management.
- Oversee the day-to-day development activities of the design team in support of the project manager's work plan.
- Performs additional data systems and analysis work as required.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of electronics analog/digital circuit and board design engineering.
- Mid-level Engineer (5 years min.).
- Experienced teamwork in the formulation, design, development, modification, implementation, calibration, and field deployment of advanced electronic measurement and instrumentation systems or other ground systems, or subsystems for laboratory, aero, or space flight systems.
- Experience with full life cycle development.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose issues that arise during testing.
Education and Qualifications
- BS degree or higher in Engineering is required
- Significant hands on experience is required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- An ability to learn new skills and adapt to new technologies
Psionic, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. U.S. Citizenship is required for the advertised position.